STORY UPDATES:

The latest news on HIV/AIDS in South Africa following the airing of my reports in June 2007. CLICK HERE TO WATCH!

Durban


A ROOM WITH A VIEW...

Sawabona (it means “hello” in Zulu)! Durban is like the “Miami of South Africa.” It is hot, hot, hot! We’re talking 90+ degrees almost everyday…which is why I instantly got a sunburn by the second or third day here. But it is gorgeous! A tour along the beachfront reveals palm trees, busy boardwalks and a variety of high-rise hotels and retro-style flats boasting crystal blue views of the Indian Ocean. As I am typing this entry, I am actually sitting outside on my veranda overlooking the entire city while listening to Feya Feku (a South African trumpeter reminiscent of Miles Davis). The view is spectacular! On an interesting side note, the gracious owners of the guest house where I am staying tell me that Alicia Keys stayed here last year when she came to Durban to launch an HIV/AIDS clinic in Wentworth ( a predominately colored community) . And I can see why…. The place is nestled away atop a hill surrounded by lush flora and the friendliest pets you’ll ever meet (Alaska, BlackJack and KitKat). Besides the mosquitoes that have nearly devoured me, it is a tranquil paradise!

5 comments:

Tresprincess said...

Hi Soror!!

I'm soo happy to hear that you made it there safely and that you are having an amazing experience. This blog is terrific and I am loving the pictures. I will keep checking in. When do you return home? You are in my thoughts and prayers as you take on such an important task that will help to educate everyone on such a horrific situation.

I love you and miss you!
Sisterly,
Marthe

Anonymous said...

Leave it to Nikki K. to find the celebrity connections, even on the other side of the world! Keep up the great work and keep posting!

Love,

Syandene

Unknown said...

Hey Nikole!!! Congrats on your fellowship. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the sendoff in DC, buut I will certainly be there for your return celebration...Really enjoying your dispatches in the meantime. Keep up the great work!

--Natalie H.

Anonymous said...

It becomes very difficult to handle the expenditures using the single method to obtain salary
quick loans online
second, shop dealerships and discover a handful of vehicles you like
which might be in the same class.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
wished to say that I've really loved surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

my blog post Best Farm In FarmVille