STORY UPDATES:

The latest news on HIV/AIDS in South Africa following the airing of my reports in June 2007. CLICK HERE TO WATCH!

Cape Town

Hallo (that's hello in Afrikaans!). My excitement surfaced as soon as I looked out of the plane window and spotted the distinctive silhouette of Table Mountain during our descent into the “Mother City”. By far, Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world! You really have to see it to believe it. Sticking with my California analogies, I would equate it to San Francisco with a touch of London and Amsterdam mixed in for its eclectic, multicultural appeal as an international mecca. Like Northern California, the region features steep cobblestone hills, wineries and scenic coastal routes that rival the best of Lombard Street, Napa Valley and the Pacific Coast Highway. I was fortunate to be in town during the annual Cape Argus Cycle, which is South Africa’s mini-Tour de France. About 30,000 cyclists from around the world participated this year by riding in a 65-mile course that crisscrosses the Cape Peninsula. Perhaps the most impressive of the pack was 13-year-old Mncedisi, of Cape Town. As one of the youngest competitors (the age minimum is 12), he told me that he had biked the entire course! By far, he was the highlight of my visit to the city aside from watching the sun set atop Table Mountain.

No comments: